Saturday, August 30, 2008

Honourable Mentions: The Electric Company


I don’t really know much about this – it never really aired in the UK as far as I am aware – but when my friend Kris informed me about it I knew I had to mention it, if for no other reason than the following:

Morgan Freeman as Count Dracula

That’s right, before he was God, Morgan Freeman was Dracula. The show itself came from the same stables as Sesame Street, from what I can gather, and was roughly the same sort of educational show. From general songs about Vampires to Caskets that are bath tubs – this deserves an honourable mention.

The imdb page is here.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whereas Sesame Street was aimed at 5-year-olds, I remember watching Electric Company on a regular basis when I was about 10 (it was considered much more "hip" than SS). Where else are you gonna see Morgan Freeman as a vampire, taking a bath in a "c"asket? (in my opinion, this show constituted his best work as an actor)!

Thanks, Tali, for bringing back fond memories . . .

p.s. the voiceover at the beginning of each show ("Hey, you guuuyyys!") belonged to none other than future Academy-award-winner Rita Moreno, who was also a regular cast member

Taliesin_ttlg said...

JR, thanks for that

As I mentioned, it never got to the UK as far as I am aware and thus I only came across it through YouTube and researched it via wikipedia - bless the internet - so its good to hear from someone who watched it