Monday, March 13, 2006

Nightwatch – in 2.5 minutes


“Nightwatch” (or “Nochnoj Dozor”) caused much debate amongst my friends and I. One friend bought the Russian DVD and hated it, though I’m guessing that had much to do with the subtitles – the translations may have been too literal.

I saw the film at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it, loved the way the subtitles in the proper UK/US release were done and can’t wait for the DVD to come out over here.

Anyway, off I went to the Nightwatch site, just to have a look-see if it had anything on there about “Daywatch” (part two of the trilogy). Unfortunately not, but they have a new feature since last I looked – the movie available to watch (in a flash page), condensed to 2.5 minutes. So nip over there, strap yourselves down and get ready for a rollercoaster ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked it also, but it's one of the most difficult movies to follow I've seen in a while. So while I really liked it, I can't honestly say that I know exactly what it's about. Like the whole bit with the airplane... and the Night Watch van that goes to that woman's house for some unknown reason. There is a lot of stuff that gets lost in translation, and the quantity of things makes it difficult to sort it all out.

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Mateo, it was a highly complex film, though from what I've been told the US/UK translations (the version I saw) made it that little bit easier than the version currently on Russian DVD. One does get the feeling, however, that it is a film that should not really be seen in isolation but as a whole with the rest of the trilogy - when it is eventually completed