Thursday, May 26, 2022

Cult of Dracula – review


Author: Rich Davis

Art: Various

First Published: 2022

Contains spoilers

The Blurb: The collected edition of the hit horror comic book series by Rich Davis that changed all we thought we knew about DRACULA!

Cult of Dracula is pure, unadulterated horror drawn from the nightmares of rising horror master, Rich Davis. It's witchy. It's wyrd. It's helter-skelter within a hippie cult dedicated to an ancient blood goddess. You may know Bram Stoker's genre-defining tale of terror by heart, but you have no idea where Cult of Dracula will take you!


The Review
: The first thing that struck me about Cult of Dracula was the art, indeed the cover art. I was blown away by the cover but, once inside and despite several artists listed, the house style of the graphic novel – whilst colourful and bold – just didn’t do it for me. There was nothing I could put my finger on, it just didn’t appeal to me (and certainly nowhere near the way the cover art did).

With a modern-day tale of a vampiric cult, as well as flashback moments, I was also struck by the recycling of Stoker character names. For example, Mina Murray the reporter, Jonathan Harker the cameraman… I know that recycling the character names from Dracula is a trope in and of itself but I actually thought it detracted. What did work was the gender swap of Dracula, and the subsequent tie in with Lilith in her Judaic myth form.

The story was good but took some following in places and the dialogue worked well enough. This is a solid read, a tad muddled in places but a clear head can keep the story straight enough. 6 out of 10. My thanks for the TPB as a birthday present from Sarah.

In Paperback @ Amazon US

In Paperback @ Amazon UK

No comments: