Thursday, July 27, 2023

Honourable Mention: Witch's Night Out


Directed by John Leach and released in 1978 this was a strange Halloween animated special that sees the people of a town who have really forgotten how much fun Halloween can be. The kids, Small (Tony Molesworth) and Tender (Naomi Leach) have bought masks to scare people when they trick or treat and the adults, Goodly (John Leach), Nicely (Fiona Reid, Blood & Donuts), Malicious (Catherine O'Hara) and Rotten (Bob Church) decide to hold an adult’s Halloween party in the abandoned house on the edge of town.

the townsfolk

The house isn’t as abandoned as they thought, being a home to a witch (Gilda Radner) who had been despondent because she is never called on at Halloween any more. She intends to make an appearance at the party but the kids are unhappy because everyone knew who they were and they scared no one. The witch pays a visit to them, and their babysitter Bazooey (Gerry Salsberg), and offers to turn them into the monsters for real. Small becomes a werewolf, Tender becomes a ghost and, after initial misgivings, Bazooey becomes Frankenstein’s Monster.

They visit the party but scare the townsfolk too much. Then (having discovered the kids are missing) the townsfolk hunt down the monsters not knowing they actually are the kids.

bikini vampire

So, vampires? Well, at the end when all is sorted out the witch offers to trun everyone into monsters for Halloween. Nicely wants to be a vampire, and is turned into a bat winged, bikini wearing vampire on screen for a second or so. And that’s it, a fleeting visitation of a bikini vampire (or at least someone turned into one for Halloween). The cell animation looks dated but cool nonetheless, the style is weirdly unique and the whole thing is of a time but, I’m sure, has a soft spot in the hearts of those who viewed it when released.

The imdb page is here.

On DVD @ Amazon US

On DVD @ Amazon UK

7 comments:

maviddata said...

Hello Andy. I am a silent follower of your blog. I have a question that maybe you can solve. It's the kind of doubt that I can't remember a movie. I have the memory of a French movie or TV series with a gang of criminals who were vampires.I don't know if you like being asked questions in the comments, but I can't find your email and I see that you haven't used it for a year on twitter

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Hey Maviddata

I'm always happy to get comments and equally happy for questions (I just hope I can answer them). Re email, it is on the sidebar but its taliesinloki (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk though my Twitter was killed when Musk plunged a dagger in its heart (and I wasn't a big user).

My first instinct is to suggest the 1915 serial Les Vampires, where the criminal gang are called the vampires http://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2008/01/honourable-mentions-les-vampires.html - there is an interesting modern twist to this in the series Irma Vep https://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2022/11/honourable-mention-irma-vep-series.html

There is also, in my first thoughts, some crime crossover in https://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2009/08/sodium-babies-review.html there is also Love Bites (not crime per se but it is in the seedy Paris underbelly) http://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2007/01/love-bites-review.html

If none of them come close let me know (with any further detail you can think of) and I'll have another think.

imaginauta said...

It was more like a TV movie from the 60s or 70s. Or maybe a series. Similar to the plot of Les Vampyres, but they were real Vampires. A bit like Mario Van Peebles' Full Eclipse or Near Dark.

imaginauta said...

It was more like a TV movie from the 60s or 70s. Or maybe a series. Similar to the plot of Les Vampyres, but they were real Vampires. A bit like Mario Van Peebles' Full Eclipse or Near Dark.

Taliesin_ttlg said...

I'm struggling to think of one but I shall continue to think on it.

I am assuming not Rollin, as there is nothing quite within the description and they are so well known. There is a TV series Poupée Sanglante that has a detective angle and was a 70s show but (having watched a very poorly subtitled version) I can't say it was anything like Full Eclipse or Near Dark

imaginauta said...

I think it could be an episode of La Brigade des malefices titled Les dents d'Alexis

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Not a series I'm familiar with - a quick google found this: https://ok.ru/video/42068281935