Thursday, May 30, 2013

Honourable Mentions: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

I haven’t properly gamed for a few months. A lot of work related travelling, the blog and finishing the degree I was doing kind of precluded anything more complicated than a simple android app. I do have the vampire stealth game Dark pre-ordered but when I noticed a game called The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing I had to give it a go.

Its Steampunk vibe probably makes this action RPG the illegitimate son of the film Van Helsing. In it you, the son of Van Helsing, and your ghost companion the Lady Katarina, are asked to go to the city of Borgova, on the banks of the Lugosi river. Borgova, however, has been usurped by a mad scientist and (to the point I am in the game) you are working with the vampire Vlados to put an end to the technocrat’s reign of terror.

The game itself could be summed up with the term hack-and-slash-a-go-go. Enemies swarm the screen as mouse buttons are mashed and it is great fun. Think games such as Diablo or Dungeon Siege. And, of course, you are Van Helsing Jr, with a gun and a really big sword. You can get the game via Steam.

No comments: