Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Recapping the Dracula Legacy

Yesterday I posted a review of House of Dracula, which was the final review of the 5 films that make up the Dracula Legacy DVD set. Wait, I hear readers in the UK exclaim – 5 films? Yes, we were let down again. The version I got was the region 1 release, precisely because it had the extra films on that were missing from the Region 2 release (I believe that the expensive, multi-monster region 2 set had the other films included but that was another rip off of region 2 folks, forcing us to buy the larger set)*.

Anyway, as the reviews were spread over quite a long period of time, I thought I’d recap scores and offer links:

Dracula is the classic 1931 Bela Lugosi vehicle and I gave it 8 out of 10.
Dracula (Spanish Version) was the simultaneously produced version, in Spanish language, and I gave it 7.5 out of 10.
Dracula’s Daughter was a direct sequel to Dracula and was released in 1936, I gave it 7 out of 10.
Son of Dracula was a 1943 vehicle and I gave it 6 out of 10.
House of Dracula, our last review, came out in 1945 and received 4 out of 10.

The scores may dip as the years march by, but all the films have merits and the set – as a complete collection – is well worth owning for all vampire film fans.

*It appears there is to be a re-release, with three films on, region 2 wise, by adding the Spanish version of Dracula. It will still be a poor imitation of the US release.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked House of Dracula better than Dracula's Daughter. I know I've seen Son of Dracula, I have the same set you have (the Dracula/Wolf Man/Frankenstein set), but it's been too long and I don't remember anything about it. The english and spanish originals are, of course, the best.

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Mateo, its all a matter of taste, as you know, and fully respect why you would prefer House to Daughter.

I actually just have the Drac set, but I have a friend with the full set - I borrowed his House of Frankenstein for the review of that)

As you say the originals (English and spanish) are the best.